Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A Captain looks at 34

I'm a good friend, right? I call, I email, I visit... I offer input & advice as the need arises. Not to say I'm perfect, NaNo! I have in the recent past dropped right off the face of the planet. Traded my whole life in for what's behind port hole #1 then jumped ship. Only to resurface a year later as a starving boat captain who missed her family, friends & life. I know what it feels like to be happy & in love and furthermore; I know what it feels like to be lonely & afraid. I've watched my daughter learn to ride her bike & fall ever so close to the busy road with my heart in my throat. But what can you do? Not teach her to ride for fear of impending doom? Nope, ya can't do that with your best friend either. No amount of fear driven, heart pumping terror for what lies ahead can stop them from doing what they need to do. It's my station as a best friend & mumma to keep them from being run over by the city bus while standing quietly on the side cheering them on. If I seem particularly quiet - don't mind me... I'm just trying to swallow my heart.

5 Comments:

Blogger Yvette said...

Are you ok? Is this post really about baby girl falling or something else?

4:16 PM  
Blogger heather said...

yeah yeah, i can't tell either, was waiting for vetski to comment first. put your heart back where it belongs. someone great and wise once told me that things could be worse and that i was a good, nice person. the great wise mermaidcaptain should know that it applies to herself too. arrrrrr matey....pull your sword out!

4:35 PM  
Blogger heather said...

arrrr, it's me again, loyal, but lowly deckhand. me thinks ur beloved friends know you love them much......land ho capt'n! awwwww shit...blackbeard's blimy crew got there first...we'll slaughter the unfortunate fools! to the death and treasure for your tots and wenches! aaaaaaarrrrrrrr!

ok, i'm done.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

ok...what the hell have you been drinking???

here's my shot at pirate talk:
(two minutes have passed and I'm still thinking)
landho maties...shiver me timbers, walk the plank you blimy wench!

how was that?

i guess i need to watch captain jack sparrow tomorrow at work.

katie...i hope whatever was/is bothering you has passed and you are feeling better!

(oldest bestest friend hugs and kisses coming your way...sorry no tongue, I haven't brushed my teeth from supper)

6:52 PM  
Blogger Kate G said...

I'm ok.... just realized I'm really old and can sail the 7 seas but can't control my best buddies potential heartaches. Nor my little girls scraped knees. Life kinda sucks like that....

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home