Friday, June 16, 2006



I have a problem with the scoring process of my daughter's Pinellas County Schools testing. I know I shouldn't bitch but this is perplexing me to the point of blogging. Olivia was tested recently & previously for the gifted program by the Pinellas County Schools. They determined in Kindergarten that she was exceptional and then in 1st grade that her behavior and classroom interactions warrented an IQ test. Ok, I'll buy that cuz she's got a higher reading level than most adults I know, given the level of the bar and common public ignorance...she could be construded as 'Bright'. What I don't get is how she could possibly be in the 99.4% of the kids in the county her age. Primarily because, her best little buddy is in the 99.78%. They do not attend the same school but are together frequently after school & during nonschool times. Not only do they live near one another, but are close friends & pole dancing buddies. What my male counterpart & I have derteminded is that there are say 30 students in each class, 4 classes in each of the 33 elementary schools making 3660 six year old in 1st going into 2nd grades in Pinellas Public Schools next year. Try to keep up. In essense this is what we figured statistically according to the grading curve:

If you lined up all of the children her age in her class in Pinellas County Schools, you would have 3660 kids in a not-so-very straight line. Do the math; this would make Olivia somewhere in the 7th or 8th place in that line starting with the smartest ass kid in the county and her little buddy number 6 or 7....How is it possible? The two have been friends since 2 years of age. What is the probability that the two of them would have any contact with one another let alone be this tight out of 3660 kids? VERY SLIM I tell you!! This leads me to believe none other than the facts have been skewed somehow. Not that two don't deserve recognition, THEY DO!! But to say they are amongst the top 10 smartest children in the county in their age group... PLEASE... Have you seen my daughter's latest hair cut she administered in a fit of giftedness?

The test is, I dare say, inaccurate. Believe you me, I'm not going to spend my retirement fund just yet with all hopes that prosperity lies with my 'Gifted' daughter. If your child was tested, you may consider the same facts... or if it's baffling you, ask the two girls, they'll walk you through the statistics slowly, very slowly. Be sure to take notes.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Busy day at the office?

1:13 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

Would you please just she the fuck up now..... Leave her haircut alone!! I think it looks cute on her...really, really cute (so there, and I'm sticking my tongue out at YOU!). She is smart (jesus, don't ask me where that came from because at her age, you were peeing from tall tree limbs and making you Barbie's have really hardcore sex...remember?) and shes adorable, funny and polite...and don't make her feel any other way! I can't wait for you guys to get HOME....I was thinking I would put up a big WELCOME HOME KATIE sign out at the end of my driveway. Nope..I won't write Kate...cuz' that was your grammie...girl you'll always be Katie, the girl who always had the coolest hair ribbons, barrets and elastics..oh and the tightest curled bangs there ever was....now you can't find anything tight on the poor 'ol girl!!! Holy shit I'm a mean bitch this morning but I think this is all very funny too.
Gotta go water my flowers because its gonna be a hot mother of a day today...80's!!! Love Ya!

6:29 AM  
Blogger Yvette said...

You need to read "rockstarmommy", shes in the blogs I read... I don't know her, I just found her blog from snooping around in other blogs. I think you'll like her and get some good laughs. She's very funny! Go now and read about the middle school graduation post...

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're lost at myspace? i'm totally lost here. how do you find people here you know? how do you post your pics? money makin', money-money makin', super disco - disco breakin'

arrrggggg

your booty shivers me timbers.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Kate G said...

Thank you for all of the insight into my daughter's mental state but I must tell you for the record. I did not insist that my child be tested. Nor did I encourage this labeling. I'm a firm believer in the 'she's just a dumb as her parents' stance. My concern is not with her intellect, but with the skewing of the grading curve on which she was tested. I will be paying for the therapist later, & she does have barbies & playdoh...why just last night she reconstructed the Columbia & lauched little Barb into orbit.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bon Bons anyone?

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home